Friday, August 17, 2012

Our story

Since I am still new to the whole blogging thing, my posts will be quite random at first until I really start to settle in (Any suggestions for topics or things you'd like to know about me, please let me know). I apologize for the (most likely frequent) changing of the formatting of my blog. I am trying to find what I like best.

Today I want to talk about my husband, Kevin, and how we met.

He is sweet, funny, hardworking, nerdy, fun, stubborn & a little weird.

We met back in 2006 when I was a senior in high school. He was in his first year of college and was actually dating one of my best friends (definitely a different way to meet). Before meeting him, she would talk about him and tell me how cute he was. I was at a football game when I first saw him. I remember turning to another friend and whispering that he was definitely cute. ;)  They dated for a couple months but my friend called things off (I don't remember the reason). I remember he messaged me on Myspace (boy do I not miss Myspace! haha) telling me that it was nice meeting me, but basically saying goodbye. This is how I found out that they had broken up. We started talking through instant messenger and Facebook. After (probably too short of a period of time) a couple weeks of chatting, he asked me out on our first date (through Facebook haha).

I was really scared to talk to my friend (lets call her 'T') after this, thinking that she would be mad and we would end up not being friends anymore. (We had known each other our entire lives since our parents were longtime friends)  Even after getting the 'OK' from T I was still worried (years later I find out that she didn't care one bit and she was in our wedding) she was mad. Our first date was on December 1st, 2006. We went and saw the movie 'Happy Feet' (see, I told you we are weird).  We had a blast and continued talking online for a couple weeks and a couple times on the phone, but did not see each other until December 19th, 2006. I was anxious to see him again so I was looking for any reason. He had told me he was going to a basketball game at his old high school, so I asked if he minded if I went with him. I drove up to his house and rode with him to the game. This was the night I met several of his friends and it was the night he asked me to be his girlfriend (hehe seems weird to tell the story). 

I will spare you all the in between details of our relationship, but I will say this. I fell hard and I fell fast! On November 1st, 2008 he asked me to marry him. I was only 19 at the time but I just knew that I had met my one and only. Despite Kevin asking my dad for his approval, I was still worried, as I had promised my dad I would wait until I was out of college before I got married. I never realized that I would meet Kevin and everything would change. I still had 2 1/2 years left of undergrad, but we immediately (to my dads dismay) set a wedding date; December 19th, 2009. I would still have 1 1/2 years left of college and Kevin would be graduating 3 days prior.

Fast forward to present day and here we are. Happily married. We own a beautiful home in the suburbs with our St Bernard, Teddy (our kitty lives with the in-laws at the moment). We are loving every minute of it. 

1 comment:

  1. Great story! And welcome to bloggin! I've been married just about a year less than you (Dec. 4, 2010) and I also got married with a year and a half of college left. I was 19. My husband is in grad school now too and we're in West Michigan. Can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete